Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

For the second time this year I am wondering why people make such a big deal out of Friday the 13th. Everyone says it is bad luck and all that, but is it really? For me, the day is not unlucky at all, but rather, it is completely normal. Or even possibly filled with good luck. But I cannot drag my mind far back enough to remember a Friday the 13th that was ever unlucky for me. Just by saying the 13th is unlucky makes me want to have a lucky day just to prove that wrong.

But I wanted to find out why it was considered unlucky, and I found out that it was not because of the number 13, but because of the number 12.

Twelve is considered to be completeness. Here are some reasons why:
  • 12 months of the year
  • 12 signs of the zodiac
  • 12 hours in a clock
  • 12 tribes of Israel
  • 12 Apostles of Jesus and
  • 12 gods of Olympus
And the only reason why 13 was considered to be unlucky was because it was irregular and right after 12, the lucky number.

Just to show that people are overall pessimists. They should stress Friday the 12th as the lucky day, and not emphasize the 13th as the unlucky day. But that is just my perspective.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

wow. I never really thought about the reasoning behind 13 being 'unlucky'... interesting...

I tagged you in a meme:
http://firesidemusings.blogspot.com/2009/01/bookshelf-meme.html