Sunday, March 21, 2010

~100 Cupboards~

-by N. D. Wilson

After the (long) trip to the library, I settled down to try my second attempt at the cupboards.

When I finished, I decided I was going to furnish my room with my own set of cupboards doors. Though, I doubt they will be magical, and I doubt anyone will understand me. I will simply say, 'it's from a book.' They will roll their eyes with the here-she-goes-again-with-the-books look.

And I won't force them to read it. But the look of the cupboards everytime they come into my room will be a silent recommendation. I believe they work better that way. And they will read it. And they will be satisfied.

I had always wished to have an adventure. I had come closest to an adventure this week. (But I shall not talk of that.)

Now that I have finished the book, I realized that maybe I am more like Henry than I think. Sure it would be cool and all to have magical doors, mysterious creatures, and a pocketkife, but if I was ever caught in a life-threatening situation (or thought I was), I would be so scared I wouldn't know what to do.

But I do want adventure. And that's what the safety of books are for. (Besides the occasional paper-cut. Which, by the way, is not healing quite as fast I as would have hoped.) A person has only one life, but readers have much more. They have adventure, in the comfort of their own home.

That's not to say I'm not going to find my adventure. I will. And I will write a book on it. So you can read it. And get a paper-cut.