Thursday, November 10, 2011

I'm flattered

Honestly, I am. In L'Engles' words, maybe everyone back home was just used to me. And I do enjoy being treated like a lady. Opening the doors are nice, and thanks for saving my coffee and me when I tripped up the stairs in the cafeteria.

But, I can get my own stinking umbrella. I can pay for myself. I don't want to hear you say "don't worry about it". I can handle it, and I want to know what's wrong. I'm not lying when I say I don't want anything. Just because I'm scared doesn't give you an excuse to hold my hand; I back away because I don't want it. I can handle being alone.

There is a fine line between treating women with respect, and treating them like babies.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

hm :)
Its a respect issue, I think. Chivalry is just a fancy word for respect.

A lot of talk about this sort of thing has been going around on my campus, so its interesting that you post about it...