Tuesday, June 30, 2009

~The Story of My Life (Helen Keller)~

-by Helen Keller

Back from my trip to Wordview, i had a huge list of books that were requested during the week. The Story of My Life was one of the many. i always had an intrest in Helen Keller and her story, but i never really saw that interest, if you know what i mean.

Anywho, our library had "The Restored Classic" edition, and i was ecstatic. It has Helen's account (part of which is the Story), Anne Sullivan's account, John Macy's account, and some of Helen's letters.

Origanally, i was just interested in the Story, but now that i am finished, i may go back and see the difference in Anne's perspective.

Obviously, my favorite quote is the theme of my blog... "Literature is my Utopia." But the context is a little off. She explains how books are her eyes to the "outside" world that she cannot see or hear.

So her Utopia is our world. But it could also mean literature is everyone's utopia. The ability to go into someone else's world is something only books can let us do.

3 comments:

Noël De Vries said...

I'm so proud of you for finishing one of your goal books already! I've ordered one of mine from inter-library loan ...

Maggie DeVries said...

Yeah, I decided to start with the ones our library already had.

Nicole said...

I really like your closing paragraph... so well put. :)