Saturday, July 10, 2010

my utopia

I guess this is kind of embarrassing. And I considered not posting this, but I guess I have to. I'm obligated to.

From dictionary.com:

Utopia (n.)
1. An imaginary island described in Sir Thomas Moore's Utopia
2. An ideal place or state
3. Any visionary system of political or social perfection

Let's say we all know that a Utopia is unattainable. It is impossible. There is never perfection. There can never be perfection. And I knew that when I named my blog.

What I was trying to do was describe a feeling I get when I read a book that hits me hard, or listen to a song that sounds unreal, or have a dream that took me to a different world. I was in a different place, and I didn't know what to call it. So I called it my utopia. My Utopia is that place that I cannot describe, and I don't know if I will ever be able to. (I'm kind of bad at describing...)

But at Worldview, they were talking about the meaning of the word. It comes from two Greek words: ou and tóp.

ou = no
tóp = place

So, utopia = no place.

I'm not going to change the name of the blog, considering I've done so many other changes, but I wanted to admit my folly.

This blog is my no place. :)

No comments: